Sunday, December 14, 2008

Surfer babe

When I first arrived in Durban, a cute Russian waitor told me that Durban had 10 months of summer and 2 months of hell. Make that 3! It is absolutely roasting here. Normally, the garage stays lovely and cool, but this morning the car thermometer still thought it was 30 degrees. Factor in the humidity and it must have been a long moment of madness that resulted in Hermann and I deciding to cycle down to the beach this morning. Durban is built on a hill, so cycling DOWN to the beach actually requires little effort, however, cycling back UP the hill is a killer. As usual, Anya was seated on the back of my bike, from which vantage point she likes to wave at the passers by. Luckily, Sean & Gitty met us at the beach which meant that Anya had a lift home. It was just too cute. Sasa, Luca and Anya paddled so nicely. Anya was copying Luca and pretending to swim by moving about on her hands in the water (when I took her nappy off she was a bit confused - because her legs and bottom suddenly floated). Anya even had her first time on a surf board. I was, of couse, my usual graceful self in the water, and didn't look at all like I was involved in a controlled drowning.

There is a moral to this story: swimmers and cyclists beware! Combining the two can result in some very nasty chafing...just ask Hermann!

No comments: